Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Where Things Come Back (228 pages)

Okay, I'm going to be honest with you and say that I don't know how I really feel about this book. I got it and read it for two main reasons: 1) It won the Printz award for 2012. (For those of you who don't remember what the Michael Printz Award is, I will recap for you. It is to secondary students what the Newberry award is to elementary and early middle school students.) The award usually picks books that I agree should be so honored. I'm not so sure about this one. I didn't dislike it; I just kept wondering how students would take to it. I'm usually pretty good at nailing what books kids like. Okay, reason 2) It was written by a man named John Whaley. I had a grad student at Fairfield University whose name was John Whaley, and so I couldn't pass up reading it, even though I was sure it wasn't the same John Whaley...and those of you who were in class with him will appreciate my curiosity. I think. The book is about a young man who lives in a small town in Arkansas with his mother, father and younger brother. Then two things happen almost simultaneously: a kind of nutty scientist announces that he has spotted a woodpecker that was thought to be extinct for years, and the younger brother disappears. The book covers some wonderful relationships of a real friend, and an incredible bond shared by both brothers. But then the main character starts seeing zombies, which kind of turned me off, because I feel about zombies about the same way I felt about vampires. I'd really love it if one of you would read the book and responded as to your feelings in this blog. Post your own thoughts because maybe I'm crazy and this book deserved its award....

No comments:

Post a Comment