Monday, April 2, 2012

Wonder (313 Pages)

Wonder is a book that should be read by every 8th + grader. I hate to put ages qualifications on books, but this book is truly a wonder! It is a first write for R.J Palacio (which I think might be a pen name). Auggie is a ten year old boy who was born with severe facial disfigurement. He has been home schooled, but his parents decide he should attend school with other kids at the start of middle school. In this case, middle school begins in 5th grade. The school is a private, coeducational school in Manhattan, and Auggie has the huge task of getting his classmates and other students to accept him. This book deals with loyalty, it deals with family, it deals with bullying, it deals with friendship, it deals with the other child in the family-who doesn't have a physical problem. I laughed, I cried, it's quite a book. GREAT opportunity for class discussions/ individual reader responses etc. Wow! I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment