Monday, February 18, 2013

Endangered (250 Pages + 11 Pages of interest)

Eliot Schrefer's writing about the endangered Bonobos of the Congo is written with passion, caring, and fascinating facts! He has weaved a story embracing facts with fiction. The facts about the bonobos are absolutely true. He has admitted to fictionalizing the descriptions of the war in Congo, although much of this is true as well. The title is interesting because not only does the reader realize that the bonobo is endangered, but also feels that the main character, Sophie, is also endangered! It would be an understatement for me to say anything positive about her mother, although in spite of everything, Sophie loves her. I will go no farther on that! You must decide for yourself. I must say that in the denouement of the book, I cried. And although it seemed ridiculous to me, and I kept saying, "It's an ape, Lynn!" I still found it INCREDIBLY touching! This book will be enjoyed by both boys and girls, I believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment