Friday, March 7, 2014

Paper Towns ( 305 Pages)

Just finished John Green's Paper Towns, and I loved it. Open to some wonderful discussions. I was one of the few people who didn't care for his Looking for Alaska, and thought An Abundance of Katherines was OK, but I adored The Fault in Our Stars. So I gave this one a chance. Boy, would I like to discuss this with some high school kids. First of all, I had never heard of paper towns until I learned that a company produced them as a means of protecting against copyright infringement. A paper town is not a real town, but is put on a map, and that is the only way it exists. In this book, Green also uses it to describe residential developments that were meant to be, but were never finished. Also, Margo Roth Spiegelman, the next door neighbor and love of his life to Quentin Jacobs, describes herself late in the book as a paper doll. If any of you recall paper dolls, you know that they were flat and without much substance. This book traces the final days of senior high school, and how a small group of friends handles the change they are about to face. It is also about friendship and acceptance and understanding ourselves and those we care about.

No comments:

Post a Comment