Tuesday, May 19, 2015

Blind (394 Pages)

There are so many things about this book that I disliked, and   much that I liked.  Hats off to Rachel DeWoskin for tackling the problem of writing a book about this disability. I know the author spoke with some  "knowledgeable" people about issues concerning blindness, but I was horrified over some of the things Emma did that were just accepted. Not in my house! 1) I don't like blind people feeling people's faces. It is invasive and doesn't give good information anyway. 2) A pet dog posing as a guide dog?  Give me a break. Totally unacceptable! 3) The idea of "blackness." A blind person does not "see" black. A blind person doesn't see. Period. My daughter, who is blind,  explained it very well by asking a room of students to close their eyes; then she asked them what they see with their back! Finally, why in the world was it necessary to include a friend's suicide? Because she was gay? Because her parents found out? If this was an attempt to provide a unifying theme for the teens, it fell flat for me.
 OK, so I did like the fact that the book dealt with Emma  having a problem dealing with her newly blinded self. At fifteen, everything concerning the body is a problem. I liked the fact that the book included a positive message about psychological therapy. I liked the fact that the book showed how friendships can change and still remain solid. That's it, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment