Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Strange Bedfellows (222Pages)

Yet another professional book, and this one makes me wish I was still in a classroom. Carol Rawlings Miller has put together literary pairs that would never jump into the readers mind as a pair to be read and discussed/ written.  I attended a workshop given by one of Robert Marzanos associates.  In it we were told that comparing(showing likenesses) and /or contrasting (showing differences) makes the biggest difference in student comprehension. Rawlings has done the work for you!  This allows teachers to offer reading/ writing/ and discussion across the genres. So, if I ruled the world and could do my own thing in my classroom, I'd do one or more of these lessons with my students, and then I'd Xerox a lesson and keep it in a folder for a sub to use should I be absent. It's all there, folks: reading/ questions/ discussion/ writing. Order this book from Heinemann, give it a try, and let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment