Wednesday, December 11, 2013

A Bad Boy Can Be Good For A Girl (223 Pages)

This is the first book I've red by Tanya Lee Stone. I often give my books to former students who are trying to build a classroom library. This book I'm going to keep. I want my grand daughters to read it.  And I want to talk to them about all of the messages in it. Three girls who all students at the same high school are all approached by the same boy at different times. The first girl is Josie, and she is a freshman swept away by the idea that a senior football player who is so good looking and popular- that he would be interested in her- seems beyond understanding. But Josie is a special girl because she finally refuses to allow this young man to "nail" her as his buddies call it. She takes everything one step further. She goes to the library and finds Judy Blume's book Forever and at the back of it are 4 blank pages. She writes a warning to other girls who may fall prey to his desires. She never mentions his name, but gives plenty of hints. Not all of the girls follow the same path as Josie, but they all learn valuable lessons about themselves and about choices they may be faced with in the future. This book includes some description of the kids making out- touching, etc. Therefore, I think it may not be a book for a classroom library, but it sure is a book for those of you who are mothers and have daughters who eventually may face some of these "choices." It is an easy read, and is written in free verse poetry.

No comments:

Post a Comment