Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Daughter of Smoke and Bone (418 Pages)

I've never read anything by Laini Taylor. After this, I may never read anything else by her....I think. This is a long book about characters who never seem real. I guess that is what bothered me most. I am a character driven kind of reader. After about 275 pages, I started talking to Laini. "Where the hell are you going with this story? I feel like you're starting a new story all over again, without resolving the first.!" And that is exactly what she was doing. By the end of the novel, both stories join to make sense of the entire plot. That said, I just can't identify and/or become attached/care for characters that are part human part animal.Some students might enjoy it; I didn't.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you, Lynn. Because there was some hype surrounding the book, I kept trying and trying to "get into" it, but like you, I couldn't connect with the characters or care about what was happening. It just kept (mindlessly) going and going...

    ReplyDelete