Friday, June 6, 2014

The Other Story (307 Pages)

Some of you may have read Tatiana De Rosnay's first novel, Sarah's Key. This is her fourth book, and it is a wonderful read. It is NOT a YA book, but is very interesting. I mention it, because I want to reiterate that I believe schools today need to reach beyond Anne Frank's Diary. Not to negate the importance of that book,  it seems important for educators to look at the many new books that have been written to address the importance of remembering World War II and the Holocaust. I've mentioned several in my posts, and feel it is even more important for teachers to consider as I heard on the news last night that an appalling number of people under the age of 30 have NO knowledge of the war and/or the Holocaust. I am not talking about jerks, such as the former president of Iran. I'm talking about Americans! The Other Story is not about World War II, it just gave me an opportunity to get on a soap box and expound my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment