Friday, December 7, 2012

Beautiful Lies ( 422 Pages)

Jessica Warman has written an incredible book about two identical twin girls. Now, I had two sets of identical twins in my class in high school. As I got to know them, I was always able to tell them apart, but my teachers couldn't. So they switched places every once in a while. Often on April 1st, but sometimes on other days as well.  But in this wonderful new read, Alice and Rachel have more in common than just looks. They are able to literally feel each other's hurt.  Rachel disappears as the twins are with friends at a local fair. Alice knows something horrible has happened to her. Now, Alice is the one who always seems to get in trouble, feel angry, struggle with school work. So with Rachel's disappearance, Alice becomes Rachel to everyone else. When raw marks appear on her wrists, and bruises appear on her face, she makes sure to cover them up. She explains that as embryos they shared the same amniotic sac, and that is why they feel each other's pain. The switch will be a surprise to some readers, and I'm not going to talk about the end of the book, but I was so amazed by the ending that I found myself going back and reading it a second time, and then a day after finishing it, I went back and read the end again! It's quite a read!

No comments:

Post a Comment