Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Classroom Instruction that Works 2nd edi

This book is written by a team of authors: Ceri Dean, Elizabeth Hubbell, Howad Pitler, Bj Stone, and builds on the earlier work of the same title by Robert Marzano. I'm not sure if I mentioned him in my last class, and if I didn't, shame on me! Marzano is another one of the gurus you teachers should know. If you are interested in any of his work, he "resides" on the cart in my "office" DMH 218. Email me if you want to get in. Years ago, I attended a professional development workshop given by one of his cohorts. During the workshop, she quoted his research on the importance of teaching kids similarities and differences. There is all kinds of research that supports this importance and how it raises student scores...This book is not thick, but it has an entire chapter devoted to teaching similarities and differences!It was a freebie from ASCD, and is published by McRel (Mid-continent Research for Education and Learning). You are welcome to borrow it from me.The book focuses on 9 strategies that have the most positive effect on student learning: 1)Setting objectives and providing feedback, 2) Reinforcing effort and providing recognition, 3)cooperative learning, 4) Cues, questions, and advance notifiers, 5) Nonlinguistic representations, 6)Summarizing and note taking, 7) Assigning homework and providing practice, 8)Identifying similarities and difference,and 9) Generating and testing hypotheses. You should probably This is one you should have!

No comments:

Post a Comment