Tuesday, January 10, 2012

elsewhere (276 pages)

Gabrielle Zevin has written an absolutely wonderful book, in every sense of the word. But why would I especially want to read a book that deals with death? For those of you who have not been in touch with me lately, let me give you some background information. Last year was ghastly. In January, my beloved grandson, Kyle, died unexpectedly. Although only 8 years old, he was a big part of my life and I was devastated. Six months later, my beloved husband, Ed, died two months after being diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. Then in October, we received news that my sister has terminal cancer. Good Lord, I sound like a contestant on the old T.V. show Queen for a Day! But enough. Let me tell you about Elsewhere! It is the story of a 15 year old who is hit by a car, and who dies. She goes elsewhere....heaven? Not sure, but it is elsewhere. There she meets her grandmother who died before she was born. She meets many other people too, and they all become part of her coming of age! Coming of age? But she's dead. Ah, yes, but in elsewhere people age backwards, and then return to a new life wherever. What Liz learns in Elsewhere is more than she could have ever learned when she was alive. Believe me, your students will enjoy this book. There is much to discuss and write about whether it be knowing who we are, or knowing what we expect of others, or what it mens to do something meaningful. I think you'll enjoy it. I know it isn't true. I know I'm probably searching for comfort, but that is what I found reading this book- if for a little while: what if????

No comments:

Post a Comment