Friday, January 13, 2012

The Rag and Bone Shop (154 Pages)

Robert Cormier died just before The Rag and Bone Shop was published. It is not a new book, is a very short book, and it is not a difficult read. However, I think it is a very important book for students to read and discuss. Most kids think that if they are accused of something they didn't do, nobody could make them admit to having done it! This is a book that says otherwise. For this reason alone, students need to know that they should never answer any questions without a parent or lawyer present, no matter how innocent they may be. The interesting thing about this book, published in 2001, is that three years later, in 2004, I was in Virginia visiting family, and happened to pick up a local paper. There was a story that absolutely mirrors this short novel. I have the article, and if any of you want it, email me your address and I'll send it to you. It will scare the....out of your students. But sometimes it's good to be scared, if it protects you from potential harm! BTW, if you are considering this book, I'd get a copy asap before it goes out of print!

No comments:

Post a Comment